Great Lax State got its start in 2011, first as a Blogspot blog, then moving to a fully-hosted domain right here at GreatLaxState.com. Over the course of the year, there were a number of big stories:
- Michigan’s promotion to Division-1 – this is probably biggest lacrosse story in the state of Michigan at least since Detroit went D-1.
- Detroit finishes one game away from first-ever NCAA Tournament berth – an untimely injury to Shayne Adams may have been all that separated UDM from a chance for glory.
- New D-III programs announced in the state – great as its own story, and it obviously speaks to the growth of the game in Michigan.
- Brother Rice captures infinityth-consecutive MHSAA title – it definitely wasn’t a surprise, but the Warriors’ dominance yet again is notable.
Here are some of the most popular posts of the year on GLS:
- 2012 Michigan Lacrosse Schedule – Lots of interest in who the Wolverines will play in year one.
- Michigan announcement coming soon – It should come as no surprise that the biggest story draws some of the biggest traffic numbers.
- Hello: Evan Glaser – The first of many recruiting profile posts drew the biggest traffic of them all.
- New Michigan practice helmets – People wanted to see the sailorweasel-adorned domes.
- Fresh Blood: New Blue – Who will be the inaugural freshman class in Michigan varsity history?
Of course, a few of the bigger posts – including the liveblog of the “Michigan athletic press conference” didn’t draw big numbers – but only because people hit the front page of GLS instead of the individual post. May 25th was one of the biggest days of the year for the site.
Thanks for reading in year one, and hopefully the site will continue to grow into year two.